I think this is probably the first time in forever that I have followed a recipe to the letter. This cheesy vegetable side dish is from Barbara’s Bajan Kitchen by Barbara E. Husbands. The only change I made was a minor one: I added a bit of hot pepper sauce to the cheese sauce. Mmmm!
Recipe: Cheese Melt Vegetable Casserole
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups sliced string (or green beans)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1.5 cups grated cheese (cheddar)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 tsp black pepper
- hot pepper sauce to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Boil vegetables until cooked and set aside (or you can use any leftover cooked veggies).
- Make cheese sauce: in a saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour and add milk, being careful NOT TO BOIL.
- Remove from heat and add cheese, salt, mustard, black pepper, and hot pepper sauce if using.
- Return to heat and stir well until cheese melts.
- Place drained veggies into and oven safe casserole dish and pour cheese sauce over top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.