A few days ago I was given another breadfruit. This time I decided to make it into a cheesy baked casserole of veggie cheesiness. As a starting point, I used the Breadfruit Cheesy recipe from The Barbados Cookbook. Of course, I then made a few changes.
Cheesy Breadfruit Casserole
- 1/2 medium breadfruit
- 3 oz cheese, grated
- 1 oz butter
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/2 onion, chopped (note: I used local chives because I have no onions)
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- grated cheese for topping
- Peel and slice the breadfruit and then boil in salted water until tender.
- Meanwhile, chop your veggies and set aside in a bowl.
- When the breadfruit is tender, drain well, mash, and then beat with the cheese, butter, and milk. Stir in the veggies and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into a casserole dish, top with breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes in a moderate oven (I baked mine at 350F).
Dish up and chow down.
I also want to point out that my tomatoes, spinach and green pepper were all freshly picked today. I had a chance to go to a farm in St. Lucy and I even harvested my own spinach!