Challenges in Life
2015 was challenging, in good and bad ways. I spent the first third of the year sick and dealing with debilitating vertigo. The second third was spent in Barbados, my “happy place”. And for the last few months, I have been struggling to find work. I know I posted that I had job, but it ended up falling through and I’ve never heard back from the guy. Even though I followed up with him on two separate occasions. Radio silence is very telling.
Learning to be a grown-up
2016 is also shaping up to be a challenging year, again for good and bad. For the past few years, I have been putting off some tough decisions. And after a recent conversation, I have decided to face them head on. These are tough choices that will free my spirit, and put me on the right path. I’ve made some messes in my life, and I have decided that 2016 is the year that I grow the fuck up and clean them up. At this point, I’m still only ready to publicly talk about them in vague terms. But know this: they will free me and put me on the path back to my happy place. And while I try to hard to be positive in the NOW, it’s hard when my soul isn’t happy. Ultimately, I believe that these decisions will make my soul happy. And that’s what matters.
I don’t typically make New Year’s Resolutions, as I tend to stick to them for a few weeks and then SPLAT! They fall by the wayside. Probably because they aren’t S.M.A.R.T. They’re too vague. Instead, here is a list of goals I want to accomplish this year.
- Get back to my running and run one official 5k
- Read enough books to fulfill the PopSugar 2016 Reading Challenge
- Be back in Barbados by April 1, 2016 (for probably another 5-6 month stay)
- Be a grown-up and deal with the tough decisions I mentioned above (I know it’s a vague goal here, but to me, it’s very specific)
- Get a job (even if it means pimping out my cooking services on Kijiji)
- Clean my stuff out of Grandma’s locker
- Increase my blog exposure and get at least 50 new followers