Today, Megan and I were reminded of a very important kitchen concept: Make sure that things are properly labelled. Yup. We had a flour mix-up today. We were positive we had grabbed the whole wheat flour to put in our pizza dough. It was only as we were putting stuff away that we realized we had used chickpea flour. Or at least, we were 90% sure we had used chickpea flour. We decided to put the dough aside to rise and see what happened.
The dough rose beautifully (although it was a bit sticky). So, I kneaded in a bit of extra flour before I rolled it onto the pizza stones. It was a really lovely dough: nicely formed gluten strands, smooth. It stretched beautifully into almost perfect circles for pizza. At the last second, I suddenly thought it would be a good idea to prebake the crusts (I normally roll out my dough, put toppings on, and put those bad boys in the oven). Well, let’s just that I am very glad we prebaked. And we found that we had DEFINITELY used chickpea flour! I did also discover how EASY it is to make pita pockets.
Anyway, since we needed to make pizza for dinner, we deflated the pita pockets, put our toppings on, and put the pizzas in the oven. And what came out were delicious, slightly nutty, amazing pizzas.