Megan and I have gotten back into doing up meal plans. Today I made an Italian Wedding Soup in the crockpot. So this is my take.
- 1lb ground beef/pork mixture
- 1 egg
- seasoned bread crumbs
- garlic plus seasoning
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 8 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 cup or so of small pasta, cooked (I used orzo and fusilli)
- In a large frying pan, heat 1tbsp of olive oil
- Combine the ground meat, egg, bread crumbs, garlic plus seasoning, and salt and pepper. Roll into meatballs and brown them in the hot oil.
- Once browned, place meatballs in the slow cooker. Drain most of the grease from the frying pan.
- In the same pan, cook the onions, garlic, celery, and mushrooms until softened. Place this mixture in the slow cooker.
- Pour in the chicken broth, add the dried oregano, and a bit of salt and pepper. Stir to combine and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours.
- 20 minutes before serving, stir in the spinach and cooked pasta. Cook on HIGH for 20 minutes.
I served this with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and a spoonful of pesto. So yummy!