I know I’ve mentioned this cookbook before, and I’m going to mention it again, since it is one of my favourites. Judith Finlayson‘s The 150 Best Slow Cooker Recipes is such a GREAT collection of recipes. I have the first edition, published in 2001, but I’m sure the second edition is just as awesome. I love that this book has recipes that pull on flavours from different parts of the world: South Africa, India, France, Italy, Hungary, etc. It’s not your usual collection of soups and stews that everyone normally thinks of when they hear slow cooker. Honestly, if you use a slow cooker at all, you really should check out this cookbook! You won’t be sorry, I promise.
Lamb Keema Recipe
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 lbs ground lamb (or beef if you prefer)
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp ginger, finely chopped
- 1-2 serrano chilies, finely chopped (I didn’t have any fresh chilies, so I used about 1/2 tsp of ground cayenne pepper)
- 1 piece cinnamon stick, about 2 inches (I used about 1.5 tsp of ground cinnamon)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black peppercorns
- Pinch of ground cloves (I used a pinch of nutmeg. What? I don’t have cloves)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (28oz/796ml) diced tomatoes, drained (I didn’t drain mine)
- 1 tbsp lemon juic
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup yogurt (optional)
- Hot cooked rice, to serve
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer meat to slow cooker, and drain liquid out of pan.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened. Add garlic, ginger, chili pepper, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, turmeric, salt, pepper, and cloves. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Add bay leaf, tomatoes, and lemon juice and bring to a boil.
- Pour mixture over meat. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-10 hours, or on HIGH for 3-4 hours, until hot and bubbling. Add peas, cover and cook on HIGH for 15-20 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Just before serving, stir in yogurt, if using.